Well, Blogland, can you believe it? We’re six weeks into the year already! I hope everyone is working hard and achieving all the things they wanted to this year!
I’m waiting for the coffee to finish brewing. It smells great, and I can tell it’s just about time I grabbed a cup. I’m hoping sitting today and taking it easy will help a persistent ache in my lower back, but we’ll see.
So, goals. What did I want to do last week?
- Write the Interlude for From the Quorum
- This was planned as a short, 1k word snippet. Turned out to be a full blown chapter, wrapping up at 3,508 words.
- Read both William Ritter novels
- Publish two blog posts
- Yeah, blew this one out of the water. Published 4 posts this past week. Not normal, but damn nice.
- Read, plan, and start The Steel Armada edits
- YES! I’m still reading through, and am currently on chapter 9. But, there aren’t any big plots gaps like last time, it seems I’ve fixed those. I found some areas that are weaker and fixed those, or added some small notes. But right now, things are looking pretty good!
So, that means…. I am in the black this Monday! All goals were achieved. All that red marker was erased and replaced with black. That feels really good.
What also feels good is a multiple tweet long conversation with Mike Brooks, the author of the Keiko series, thanking me for my review (you can read it here) and then discussing books we’re looking forward to this year.
Talk about a great morning! And now I’m on my second cup of coffee. The sun’s out, the dog did some sunbathing, and suddenly I am all smiles despite the back pain.
So, what’s the plan for this week?
- Write chapter 13 of From the Quorum
- Finish Arcanum Unbounded
- Publish two blog posts
- Continue The Steel Armada edits
I’m not 100% sure that chapter 13 will get finished this week. It could. Thursday could be very productive. I don’t know. But, right now it feels like a tall order.
I only have a few more stories in Arcanum Unbounded until that’s done. I’ve read a majority of them already, so I’m skipping around and reading the content that’s new to me. That includes the notes from Brandon at the end of each story, and the notes from the character Khriss at the introduction of each world. There’s a bit of new content, and it’s been a joy getting some more illumination on the Cosmere.
I’ve been consistent with my post publishing, and I doubt this week will see a change in that.
As for edits, I’m feeling really good about my progress there still. I sent the manuscript to a couple more friends to get some more varied feedback, and I think I have an email from my best friend who did a very detailed read and review. So, I have some new and forthcoming feedback to help me along.
My plan for now is to finish my read through, and then go back and flesh things out chapter by chapter, and address any concerns brought up by Beta readers. For the first time this project seems doable, and not so terrifying.
We’ll see how long that lasts!
I’ll see you later this week Blogland!